turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

obabin22

$2k Capital loss carryover from 2019 is not being applied to 2020. I had a $5k loss in 2020, took $3k last year and would like to utilize the remaining $2k this year.

Capital loss carryover from 2019: (-$2k)
Capital loss used in 2020:                 $2k
Loss carried forward to 2021:           $0.00
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

$2k Capital loss carryover from 2019 is not being applied to 2020. I had a $5k loss in 2020, took $3k last year and would like to utilize the remaining $2k this year.

from your illustration is seems the carryover is being applied to 2020. what seems to be missing is the $5K in losses in 2020.  check your entries. we can not see your return. 

obabin22

Thank you for a super quick reply.

I declared $5k loss in 2019 and used $3k (married/filed jointly) loss to offset my W-2 income in 2019, thus carrying forward $2k. The way TT is presenting 2020 is almost as if I am not getting the remaining $2k as tax break against my 2020 W-2, but after digging into it and adjusting my 2019's original loss from $5k down to $3k my refund went down so I was able to prove to myself that TT is taking a deduction on the back-end, just doing a lousy job communicating it to end user.

Always print a copy of your completed tax return for your records, and review it carefully before e-Filing.
You will need it if you are audited by the IRS, or to amend if a TurboTax update changes your return or for any other reason,
AND, to verify that carryforward losses show up on Schedule D.
AND, to find your AGI next year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies