turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2020 rental income question. What do I need to document for covid related non-payment of rents due?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

2020 rental income question. What do I need to document for covid related non-payment of rents due?

just keep good banking records.   your situation is going to be quite common in 2020.    One law firm I read about was being sued for millions in unpaid rent.  

Carl
Level 15

Nothing. You don't get any special treatment or consideration on your taxes for unpaid rent. You don't get to deduct unpaid rent, since you can't deduct income you never received. You can't deduct from your taxable income, that which you never received or paid taxes on in the first place.

Ok, then, am I to assume that all expenses and depreciation will be accepted as legitimate losses for the entire period of no rental income?  I can lose money for awhile (lucky me) but when does the loss of rent become a presumed income and thus taxable?  I’m guessing that any forbearance of rent will require a 1099 for barter at the $600 dollar level and become taxable income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies