Question about buying/trading stocks as a US citiz...

gb945

Question about buying/trading stocks as a US citizen living abroad

Hello, I am interested in trading stocks in the US but I am a US citizen temporarily living abroad. Not sure if relevant but just in case, I use a foreign earned income exclusion to avoid paying double tax. The software I intend on using for trading asks that I enter a US address. I do have a mailing address in the US, though I want to make sure that entering it will not have any residency implications for my taxes in the years to come.

Your experience and information on the subject is welcome. Thanks in advance!

Anonymous
Not applicable

A US citizen is taxed on worldwide income which would include income from trading securities.  the exception for you being the foreign earned income which can be excluded if you meet the tests,  investment income is not earned income.    it is possible that your resident country would also tax the investment income.  if so you would get some sort of foreign tax credit on your US return for the income that is taxed by both countries.   Your address should have no effect.  TT should have a section in the tax info worksheet to enter a foreign address.   

Anonymous
Not applicable

fanfare

As an American , stay away from any investment vehicles based in other countries. 
Serious tax complications can ensue.