turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

QBI but no business

Hello, I have been the landlord of 5 rental properties for over 20 years. I spend over 1/2 my time taking care of these properties and have always claimed to be a "real estate professional" who is actively involved with managing the properties. I ALSO have a separate full time career with w-2 income. Ive always filed a 1040 with my w-2 income and listed my rentals on schedule E. I do not have a sole proprietorship or LLC. This year turbo tax home and business is asking me "Is this qualified business income?" The income meets all the criteria so I choose "yes" but then it asks me to enter my Sole proprietorship or LLC EIN, which I do not have. If I select "no" to the question it asks me if I should change my previous entries. I'm very confused by all of this. Can you please clarify what I should be doing? I'm not sure which is worse 1) choosing to answer YES to the QBI question and putting in NA for the business name and EIN or 2) choosing to answer NO to the QBI question and put into question why I'm not trying to take deductions if I'm a real estate professional. Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

QBI but no business

Triplicate post

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies