Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

PTP: 1099B + K1?

I bought and sold a PTP in 2020 thru a stock broker.  I subsequently received a 1099-B from the broker reflecting a capital loss on the sale. Few weeks later, I received a separate K1 from the PTP showing (further) loss as Section 1256 and some other incomes. So, I want to make sure these losses are not related and they should be all reported separately in the TurboTax software. Right? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You definitely want to report both the K-1 and the 1099-B.  A partnership does not pay taxes at the partnership level.  Instead, they pass all their taxable information down to the partners themselves (you) and you have to pay the taxes.  So you do that by reporting everything in the K-1 section of the TT interview.

In addition, the partnership reporting will change your cost basis for the 1099-B.  The info you got from the broker is likely incorrect (because they don't know what the partnership reported).  You'll have to adjust the cost reported on the 1099-B.

Finally, be aware that you have to watch out for double-reporting the sale.  This longer thread goes into more detail about some of the pitfalls, and how to make sure you only report the sales once:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/investments-and-rental-properties/discussion/how-i-report-the-sale...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Note also, I'm not a Tax Preparer/CPA. Just a volunteer, seasoned, TurboTax user.
Use any advice accordingly!

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You definitely want to report both the K-1 and the 1099-B.  A partnership does not pay taxes at the partnership level.  Instead, they pass all their taxable information down to the partners themselves (you) and you have to pay the taxes.  So you do that by reporting everything in the K-1 section of the TT interview.

In addition, the partnership reporting will change your cost basis for the 1099-B.  The info you got from the broker is likely incorrect (because they don't know what the partnership reported).  You'll have to adjust the cost reported on the 1099-B.

Finally, be aware that you have to watch out for double-reporting the sale.  This longer thread goes into more detail about some of the pitfalls, and how to make sure you only report the sales once:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/investments-and-rental-properties/discussion/how-i-report-the-sale...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Note also, I'm not a Tax Preparer/CPA. Just a volunteer, seasoned, TurboTax user.
Use any advice accordingly!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies