turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cmjett77

Property manager only sent me 1099-Misc for the rental property they are managing but I have not received a form E for the rental property. Where should I enter my info?

Should I be entering my info on the rental property under 1099-misc and form E?

5 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Property manager only sent me 1099-Misc for the rental property they are managing but I have not received a form E for the rental property. Where should I enter my info?

You are correct.  Rental income is reconciled on Schedule E, which is a part of your Tax return.  In order to file this schedule, please see this FAQ with more information:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288530

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My 'new' tenant paid my property management company the rent(for January 2021) at end of December 2020 but I didn't get the final disbursement(after some fees) until 1~2 weeks into January 2021.  My 2020 1099-misc has the gross rent that the 'new' tenant paid to my property management company. 

1. My prop management company got the money in 2020 but I got my money in 2021

2. The money I got was less than what's in Box 1 in my 2020 1099-misc due to management fee and other fees

How should I go about this ?

The 1099 is correct ... you DID get the money in 2020 because your agent received it on your behalf.   The fact that the management company didn't put the money in your account until 2021 is immaterial since you still had what is called "constructive receipt" of the funds. 

By the way, I also paid below two items for my rental:

1. HO-6 home insurance

2. Rental tax(NOT property tax) by my city

Can they be deducted as expenses ? If so where should I enter them in TurboTax Premier ?

Any expense for the rental is deductible on the Sch E ... if you don't find a category to use the use the make your own category at the end of that section.  

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question

Related Content

Manage cookies