Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

janinemxo

Property i owned was a rental for part of the year, do i report only prorated real estate taxes for time rented under the income section on turbo tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
jtax
Level 10

Property i owned was a rental for part of the year, do i report only prorated real estate taxes for time rented under the income section on turbo tax?

Yes, prorate all the appropriate taxes. I would suggest calculating the total taxes and dividing by the number of days covered by each bill and then multiply by the days rented. It might be possible to deduct as a rental expense property expenses between living in it and renting it out if there was such a time period. But you would have to research that more to be sure.

The rest of the taxes (paid while you lived the property)are deductible on Schedule A. But most people can no longer deduct those because of the very large standard deduction. Worth entering thought just in case.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

Yes you will prorate.

No you will not report it in the rental income section. It gets reported in the rental expenses section in the box for "real estate taxes".

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies