Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

thadeus1

Prior years’ unallowed losses on rental property - repairs from 2018 that I did not deduct on Schedule E. Can I deduct this year or do I 1st have to amend prior returns?

I also don't see how to manually add them using the TurboTax program. Seems a little clunky.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
jtax
Level 10

Prior years’ unallowed losses on rental property - repairs from 2018 that I did not deduct on Schedule E. Can I deduct this year or do I 1st have to amend prior returns?

You have to take the deduction for most expenses in the year in which those expenses are incurred. There are a few exceptions (e.g. companies but not individuals can have fiscal years, some improvements (not repairs) have to be deducted over multiple years (depreciation), etc.)

So if the 2018 expenses flow through to this year, I would indeed suggest getting an extension for 2021, amending 2018, and adjusting the carry forwards as needed. I would not wait for the IRS to acknowledge the amended return for this kind of item (unless the 1040X is efiled, then you know they got it).

For this kind of expense, which the IRS is not as likely to automatically track (unlike a 1099 or W2), you might get away with filing 2021 first and then amending. They might not even do anything with the 2018 1040X if it doesn't ask for a refund. But who knows?

[Edited: @AliciaP1 makes a good point. If the carryfoward appears on any forms you need to file subsequent years (2019, 2020) then you should amend those years. If it only appeared on a "for your records" worksheet I would think you don't need to amend. So if you are increasing the loss on Schedule E or 8582, etc. you would have to amend all of those years also.]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

You will need to amend prior years to report the additional deductions.  Tax deductions can only be taken in the year incurred.  If it creates a loss carryforward or a basis adjustment, the subsequent years will need to be amended as well.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
thadeus1

Thanks.

thadeus1

Thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies