turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Primary residence partial year rental

I rented out my primary residence from 2011-2015, during which time I depreciated it based on the original cost basis of 185,000.

I moved back in 2016 and stopped depreciating (but did not "convert to personal use", just stopped depreciating it and instead began reporting it on my schedule A).

In 2020, I rented it out for part of the year, from 3/1/20- 9/31/20. I moved back on 10/1/20. 

Am I correct that on my 2020 Schedule E depreciation for this property, I should start over, placing it in service on 3/1/20, with a new cost basis equal to the original basis minus the accumulated depreciation from 2011-2015? 

I have entered this information, along with converting it to personal use on 10/01/20. 

My depreciation amount is showing up as $0. Should I not be allowed to take depreciation for the part of the year it was rented?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

You are not allowed to take depreciation for any property that is placed in service and removed in the same year. Report your income and other expenses and omit the depreciation. 

Carl
Level 15

In 2020, I rented it out for part of the year, from 3/1/20- 9/31/20. I moved back on 10/1/20.

If you converted the property to a rental, and then back to personal use in the same tax year, you do not depreciate the property at all. Simply enter a cost basis of *zero* for the property, and no depreciation will be taken.

Thank you for clearing this up for me!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies