turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gakarner

I sold stock options and Equatex withheld federal and state taxes but did not report them on the 1099b, how do I report these taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

I sold stock options and Equatex withheld federal and state taxes but did not report them on the 1099b, how do I report these taxes?

You'll want to enter your 1099-B in order to prevent any letters from the IRS six months from now. Here's how to do it without doubling your income. If you have additional questions or details regarding this, please feel free to post in the comments for further clarification.

When you enter your 1099-B information for your stock option transaction, do not select the Import option.  Instead, select "I'll type it in myself".  Click on Continue.  On the next screen, select your broker and click on Continue.  Next select the categories of trades reported on your 1099-B and click Continue. 

Enter the information reported for your sale just as it is on the 1099-B and then check the box below the transaction that says "This sale involves an employee stock plan (including ESPP) or an uncommon situation"  then click on Start now

Continue through the interview to enter the information for stock options.  You should have received a statement from your employer or the broker that manages your company's plan.  You will need that information.  If your options were Incentive Stock Options (ISOs) then that would be Form 3921.

Most of the time, your basis will be the same as the stock sales price plus the broker commission.

This will result in your option transaction being properly recorded and the income will not be doubled.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MichaelDC

You probably received a 1099B, correct?
MichaelDC

Or do you have a Code V in Box 12 or your W-2?
gakarner

I received a 1099B but it did not include witheld taxes. I received a W2 but there is no code V in box 12
MichaelDC

Great thanks. Let me know if you need anything else.
MichaelDC

You'll want to enter your 1099-B in order to prevent any letters from the IRS six months from now. Here's how to do it without doubling your income. If you have additional questions or details regarding this, please feel free to post in the comments for further clarification.

When you enter your 1099-B information for your stock option transaction, do not select the Import option.  Instead, select "I'll type it in myself".  Click on Continue.  On the next screen, select your broker and click on Continue.  Next select the categories of trades reported on your 1099-B and click Continue. 

Enter the information reported for your sale just as it is on the 1099-B and then check the box below the transaction that says "This sale involves an employee stock plan (including ESPP) or an uncommon situation"  then click on Start now

Continue through the interview to enter the information for stock options.  You should have received a statement from your employer or the broker that manages your company's plan.  You will need that information.  If your options were Incentive Stock Options (ISOs) then that would be Form 3921.

Most of the time, your basis will be the same as the stock sales price plus the broker commission.

This will result in your option transaction being properly recorded and the income will not be doubled.

How do you report the difference between the gain on the exercise of a NQSO and the amount report by the company on the W-2?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies