On home expenses it asks for the rent amount paid for the entire home. do I put in my monthly payment or what I paid over the whole year?

Also it just says insurance, what type of insurance amount is it asking for?  like renters insurance?

You'd want to enter the total amount of rent you paid in 2016. Turbo Tax will take the amount and apply the square footage ratio you entered in Turbo Tax and calculate the deduction for you.

Yes, any insurance expense related to the home (or apartment). Again, just enter the total and Turbo Tax will do the rest for you.