turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bupt
Returning Member

Bought a house and rent it out 6 months. Because the previous owner want to live a while before move out. So I have to rental a place, is the rental fee deducted ?

Bought a house in the end of last year (2015), rent it out 6 months. Because the previous owner want to live a while before move out. So I rent it for them, during this time, I have to rental a place to live before I move in, is my rental fee deducted or not ?

Example, I charge previous owner 1500 dollars one month, but I have to rental a place to live ( pay 1000 dollars ). So my pure gain is actually, 500 dollars.

Is that expense deducted ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Bought a house and rent it out 6 months. Because the previous owner want to live a while before move out. So I have to rental a place, is the rental fee deducted ?

No. Rent for your personal residence is not deductible, no matter what the reason for it is. Rent that you pay is not deductible and is does not subtract from any rent income that you get.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

No. Rent for your personal residence is not deductible, no matter what the reason for it is. Rent that you pay is not deductible and is does not subtract from any rent income that you get.

Amounts you pay on rent to live are just living expenses and are not deductible, no matter the reason.

Secondly, I would simply ignore the rental arrangement on your new house.  Typically, this is a short term arrangement and the old owner pays your mortgage until you move out.  There are all kinds of tax complications if you report the home as a rental, especially if you report it as a rental before moving in as your personal home.  So I would just ignore the rental income -- don't report the income, and don't deduct expenses.  Just pretend it never happened.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies