turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

smaruvada

I sold my condo last year and I am renting now. Is there a deadline for me for me to reinvest the sale proceeds?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I sold my condo last year and I am renting now. Is there a deadline for me for me to reinvest the sale proceeds?

No.  It doesn't matter what you do with the proceeds anymore.  Starting in May 1997…..For a primary home, if you owned and lived in your house for 2 out of the last 5 years when you sell you can exclude the gain up to $250,000 for single or 500,000 for married from tax.  You can not take a loss on your tax return. The rule about rolling over the gain to the next house went out in May 1997.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

No.  It doesn't matter what you do with the proceeds anymore.  Starting in May 1997…..For a primary home, if you owned and lived in your house for 2 out of the last 5 years when you sell you can exclude the gain up to $250,000 for single or 500,000 for married from tax.  You can not take a loss on your tax return. The rule about rolling over the gain to the next house went out in May 1997.
smaruvada

Thank you so much! I actually made 300k because I lucked out with a desperate buyer. Am I in trouble for the “extra” 50k?
Thanks for your help!

Did you report it on your return?  Did you get a 1099S for the sale?  You are single?  Did you add any improvements to increase your cost?  Think back.
smaruvada

Yes, yes, yes and yes. I lived there 11 years and put plenty of work into it.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies