Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My two children have investment accounts. Do I need to claim their dividends?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes. But, only  if each of them has more than $1050 of total income. If less, the income goes unreported.

If your dependent child is under age 19 (or under 24 if a full time student), he or she must file a tax return for 2016 if he had any of the following:

1.         Total income (wages, salaries, taxable scholarship etc.) of more than $6,300 (2016).

2.         Unearned income (interest, dividends, capital gains) of more than $1050 (2016).

3.         Unearned income over $350 and gross income of more than $1050

4.         Household employee income (e.g. baby sitting, lawn mowing) over $2000 ($6300 if under age 18)

5.         Other self employment income over $400, including box 7 of a 1099-MISC

If his only income is from interest and dividends, Alaska PFD or capital gains distributions shown on a 1099-DIV, there is a provision for entering it on your return, using form 8814. Enter at Less common income / Child's income.
But, it is usually best for him to file a separate return, as qualified dividends and capital gain distributions could be taxed at a higher rate on the parent's return. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes. But, only  if each of them has more than $1050 of total income. If less, the income goes unreported.

If your dependent child is under age 19 (or under 24 if a full time student), he or she must file a tax return for 2016 if he had any of the following:

1.         Total income (wages, salaries, taxable scholarship etc.) of more than $6,300 (2016).

2.         Unearned income (interest, dividends, capital gains) of more than $1050 (2016).

3.         Unearned income over $350 and gross income of more than $1050

4.         Household employee income (e.g. baby sitting, lawn mowing) over $2000 ($6300 if under age 18)

5.         Other self employment income over $400, including box 7 of a 1099-MISC

If his only income is from interest and dividends, Alaska PFD or capital gains distributions shown on a 1099-DIV, there is a provision for entering it on your return, using form 8814. Enter at Less common income / Child's income.
But, it is usually best for him to file a separate return, as qualified dividends and capital gain distributions could be taxed at a higher rate on the parent's return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies