turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My rental on my schedule E is listed as a vacation home...not true , what are the steps or questions pertaining to line 19 that gave me that expense amount?

My bank for refinancing wants to know what the reason for my schedule E line 19 is a certain amount....I cannot for the life of me figure out where that number came from or why its listed as a vacation home...... its been my rental for years now.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

My rental on my schedule E is listed as a vacation home...not true , what are the steps or questions pertaining to line 19 that gave me that expense amount?

Numerous things can cause that. The major one that comes to mind (since you've not given much information to work with on this) is that you told the program you had personal use days. If the property was classified as a rental and you did not live in it for one single day as your primary residence, 2nd home, vacation home or any other type of "personal pleasure" use, then the days of personal use (if asked for that) would be ZERO. Overall, you should have selected the option to indicate the property was rented "the whole year".

If you had a vacant period between renters, and you didn't use the property for any personal pleasure use during that period, then you still indicate the property was rented the whole year.

@tannardewitt wrote:
My bank for refinancing wants to know what the reason for my schedule E line 19 is a certain amount....I cannot for the life of me figure out where that number came from or why its listed as a vacation home....

Refer to the relevant sections of Schedule E in the screenshot below.

You most likely selected (perhaps inadvertently) number 3 as the type of property for your rental.

With respect to Line 19, you are supposed to list each type of expense separately and the bank simply wants to know the exact nature of the expense(s).

Untitled.png

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies