turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The 1099B worksheet shows the tax withheld for sale of stock. Stock sold at a loss, no capital gain. Tax does not show on 1041 to get a refund. TurboTax Business.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The 1099B worksheet shows the tax withheld for sale of stock. Stock sold at a loss, no capital gain. Tax does not show on 1041 to get a refund. TurboTax Business.

OK go to Forms mode (upper right) and I'll shown how to enter the tax payment from the 1099B.

Go to tax Payments worksheet and enter this amount in Part II line 2, and then right click and add the 1099B in narrative as support. 

If you do not see the Tax Payments go to the left to open Form and open one.

Then when you file the return attach a copy of the 1099B to the 1041 (if you paper file).

This will correct this for you, and post of comment if you still have questions.

Thank you

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Are you doing an actual 1041 return?

Yes, this is an estate return. Capital Gain is calculated by subtracting the value of the stock on the death date from the value it was sold. This was a negative number. The stock was sold for about $20,000 and about $5,000 was sent to IRS by broker.

OK go to Forms mode (upper right) and I'll shown how to enter the tax payment from the 1099B.

Go to tax Payments worksheet and enter this amount in Part II line 2, and then right click and add the 1099B in narrative as support. 

If you do not see the Tax Payments go to the left to open Form and open one.

Then when you file the return attach a copy of the 1099B to the 1041 (if you paper file).

This will correct this for you, and post of comment if you still have questions.

Thank you

I cannot find a "tax Payments worksheet" in the list of forms.

" I cannot find a "tax Payments worksheet" in the list of forms."

You need to expand Form 1041: in the forms list by clicking the "plus" button (see screenshot).

That looks like it worked. I need to do a paper return so I can enclose the death certificate, assignment by court and form IRS 1310.
Thank you

My pleasure
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies