My elderly parents listed me on their mortgage as ...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My elderly parents listed me on their mortgage as a protection. They recently sold their home and I had no dealings with the money they received. Must I claim it?

2 Replies
Level 15

My elderly parents listed me on their mortgage as a protection. They recently sold their home and I had no dealings with the money they received. Must I claim it?

Were you also on the deed ?    Did the closing company issue you a 1099-S at closing ?

Level 15

Simple answer: No.

Paying off a mortgage is not a tax reporting event.  Sale of  a person's primary home is usually  a tax free event (if the rules are followed).  Taxation "follows the money" ("I had no dealings with the money they received").

Only if your name and SS# were on the form 1099-S, issued at closing, do you have anything to report (claim). Even then, nothing is taxable to you.

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings