e-tax-fun

My dad owns a % of my apt. I pay 100% of taxes & exp. In 2018 I rented it out for 6 mos. Can I claim 100% of the rental income, or does my dad have to claim his %?

My dad owns 80% of my apt. I own 20%.  I pay all property taxes and expenses and maintain the apt.  He has nothing to do with it except he's an owner.  I rented it for 6 months. Can I claim 100% of the rental income and pay the relevant taxes, or do I need to divvy up the income and the taxes with him? If you know the answer, I'd love to see where that answer comes from.  Is there an IRS guideline?  thank you!

You can claim 100% of the income and expenses you paid ... but the asset depreciation is different ... you only own 20% of the property so you can only depreciate 20% of the cost basis. 

e-tax-fun

Thank you! Do you have any back up for that like an irs ruling or other source so I can show it to my dad? Thank you!

If you are NOT filing a partnership return for this then it goes on the Sch E so says the instructions for that form.