Solved: My current property tax bill shows an assessed value of my home from a couple of years ago. How should this be reported in the rental property section?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My current property tax bill shows an assessed value of my home from a couple of years ago. How should this be reported in the rental property section?

My county is a couple of years behind on reporting accurate values. Should I still include what is listed on my current tax bill for the 'Enter Property Tax Values' in the rental property section?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 4

My current property tax bill shows an assessed value of my home from a couple of years ago. How should this be reported in the rental property section?

You can enter that if you think it is fair, the IRS can't really argue much with another taxing authority. However, if you have reason to believe the tax bill is inaccurate, ask a real estate professional or appraiser to do a Comparative Market Analysis. 

The IRS will accept the amount you report as long as you used a reasonable method to arrive at the amount. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Level 4

You can enter that if you think it is fair, the IRS can't really argue much with another taxing authority. However, if you have reason to believe the tax bill is inaccurate, ask a real estate professional or appraiser to do a Comparative Market Analysis. 

The IRS will accept the amount you report as long as you used a reasonable method to arrive at the amount. 

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings