turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tcrow3397

My 1099 Misc I received has the dollar amount in the wrong box. Should have been rental income not non employee compensation. What should I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My 1099 Misc I received has the dollar amount in the wrong box. Should have been rental income not non employee compensation. What should I do?

Well you should have gotten it fixed way back in January when it was issued ... so do so now.  If the issuer will not correct it then post back and tell us why it is not box 7 income and from whom you got the form ( employer ?) . 

Hal_Al
Level 15

If you received an erroneous 1099-Misc, you have several choices:

1. Ideally, you get a corrected 1099-misc from the payer
  2. Report the income as rental income.  Attach a copy of the 1099 and a statement explaining the circumstances. You can't e-file. From the IRS instructions for form 1099-Misc: Form 1099-MISC incorrect? If this form is incorrect or has been issued in error, contact the payer. If you cannot get this form corrected, attach an explanation to your tax return and report your income correctly.
  3. Report the income as rental income. Also Report the Income on schedule C but take a deduction under other expenses, making your Sch C net income zero. 
  4. Report the income as rental income and hope you can explain it away when & if the IRS contacts you (box 7 income of 1099-Misc is high target item at the IRS because they want the self employment tax paid)
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies