Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

multi-family rental allocation for personal garage and outside parking space

I own a duplex with a basement that has a garage attached to the basement, as well as an outside parking space. The two units of the duplex and the outside parking space is being rented out, but the basement and indoor garage parking is not being rented out. The garage is attached to the basement, and I'm using both the garage and basement for personal uses. I'm at a loss as how to file the taxes for this scenario. This is what I think is the correct method based on square footage:

1. Unit 1:  900 sq ft, 3 rooms, 37.5%. (100% rental use).
  2. Unit 2: 900 sq ft, 3 rooms, 37.5%  (100% rental use).
  3. Basement: 450 sq ft, 1 room, 18.8% (100% personal use).
  4. Garage attached to basement: 240 sq ft, 0 rooms(?), 10%, (100% personal use).
  5. Outside Space: 120 sq ft, non-depreciable asset, land only.  (100% rental use).

Should I include the outside parking space square footage in the total square footage to be used in the denominator for allocation purposes?

I'm planning on adding unit 1, unit 2, and outside space as property assets on Sch E, but the outside parking space will not be taking any depreciation due to it being land.

I'm not sure about how to deal with the outside parking space. Does this allocation make sense?

How would I allocate the outside space income and expenses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Your numbers seem correct. The number of rooms is irrelevant. 

Are you truly renting the outside spaces or are they part of the package deal? If they are included in the rent paid, then do not include them. If they are stand-alone rentals, then you would include calculations for the space.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Your numbers seem correct. The number of rooms is irrelevant. 

Are you truly renting the outside spaces or are they part of the package deal? If they are included in the rent paid, then do not include them. If they are stand-alone rentals, then you would include calculations for the space.

thanks!

yeah the outside space is rented out separately to someone else not living in the duplex.

(not to tenants of unit 1 or 2). Should I mark each individual property as a single-family or a multi-family?

thak you. a follow up question. If i'm listing each individual unit as a separate property, then I should not be checking the "I rent out a unit in a multi-unit property (like a duplex) where I live" right? So as an example, if the property have 3 units, and I'm listing unit 1 and unit 2 as individual properties, and I live in unit 3, then I should NOT check the box for "I rent out a unit in a multi-unit property (like a duplex) where I live".

Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.  If you are listing each property separate and are able to easily identify and allocate the expenses then you do not need to check that box.  If not, then you should check the box as some expenses like property taxes, mortgage interest, etc would be shared and need to be allocated. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies