turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ebillo

Mortgage interest on rental property

A second home of mine has been rented for the entire (2016) year. I need to report mortgage interest on that rental home. Reading other answers, it appears that I should report that on the "Wages & Income => Rental Properties and Royalties (Sch E)" section. I'm not 100% confident/satisfied with the answers I've seen so far for two reasons:

1) TurboTax will let me enter those interest numbers on both "Wages & Income => Rental Properties and Royalties (Sch E)" and "Deductions & Credits => Mortgage Interest, Refinancing, and Insurance (Sch A)" and will not complain if I try to e-file the tax return like that. I think it should.

2) On "Deductions & Credits => Property Taxes", there's a clear message saying: "IMPORTANT: Don't enter property taxes for rental property here. Enter them with your rental expenses.". Why isn't there a similar one for mortgage interests?

Since turbo tax software has not been effective in convincing me (through its wizards) that I am doing the right thing so I'm sending this question to double check things.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Mortgage interest on rental property

Rental property mortgage interest is entered on Schedule E.  In the TurboTax program follow these steps -

• Go to My Account > Tools > Topic Search
  • Type rental in the search box and click Go.
  • Answer Yes to Do you want to review your rental information and then Continue.
  • Click Edit next to the rental property.
  • On the Review Your rental property Rental Summary screen, scroll down to the Expense section.
  • Click Start or Update next to Expense and then click I'll choose what I work on.
  • On the Enter Common Expenses screen, you can enter your Real Estate Taxes and other expenses.
  • Click Continue.  Then you will be able to enter your mortgage interest. (see screenshot)

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies