or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
metabaum
Level 1

mortgage interest deduction

Earlier I asked about Schedule A overstating my mortgage interest.  It added the amount I actually paid per the form 1098 to the amount allocated for personal use.  The expert answered that it is overstated and I should just adjust the amount on Schedule A.  I think Turbo Tax should put in the correct amount.  I just happened to notice the "error".  In the Schedule A worksheet  Turbo Tax should tell you not to enter your full interest expense.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

If you are referring to a rental situation, you should not enter any of the mortgage interest amount on your Schedule A.  You should ONLY enter the Form 1098 mortgage interest amount under the Rental.  The program will then allocate and pro-rate the mortgage interest between rental and personal based on the information of percentage of usage you provided.  The amounts should be allocated correctly on your tax returns.  ( Schedule E for rental and schedule A for personal)

I will suggest you to take out the mortgage interest amount on Schedule A, revisit the rental expense including mortgage interest portion. The program should update and do the math correctly. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

If you are referring to a rental situation, you should not enter any of the mortgage interest amount on your Schedule A.  You should ONLY enter the Form 1098 mortgage interest amount under the Rental.  The program will then allocate and pro-rate the mortgage interest between rental and personal based on the information of percentage of usage you provided.  The amounts should be allocated correctly on your tax returns.  ( Schedule E for rental and schedule A for personal)

I will suggest you to take out the mortgage interest amount on Schedule A, revisit the rental expense including mortgage interest portion. The program should update and do the math correctly. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v