turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ehababdo

Kindly advice, as an expat lives 330 days overseas, but own a house subject for rental income , do i need to file state tax ?

do I file a state tax return if I own a property in that state but don't live in ?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Kindly advice, as an expat lives 330 days overseas, but own a house subject for rental income , do i need to file state tax ?

Which state?

Carl
Level 15

Depends on the state. For example, FL does not tax personal income. So no tax return for that state.

Yes you should even if the property runs at a loss to preserve that information for the time you sell the property ... if you have not been reporting the property and depreciation the state may not recognize it later. 

TomD8
Level 15

The general rule is that rental income from a property located in State X is taxable by State X, as well as by the owner's state of residence.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

If you abandoned your in-state domicile when you moved overseas, then you are no longer a resident of the state.  However, as a non-resident, you are required to file a non-resident tax return that reports and pays income tax on locally sourced income (in-state income).  A rental property in state A would be considered to be state A-sourced income.  

ehababdo

State of Indiana 

TomD8
Level 15

Rental income from a property located in Indiana is taxable by Indiana.  This website will guide you as to whether you should file as a resident, part-year resident, or nonresident:

https://www.in.gov/dor/individual-income-taxes/individual-income-tax-overview/

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies