Solved: Just rec'd 2 K-1 forms for my wife's deceased parent's trusts. Taxes have been filed. 1 has a short term loss for 773 for 2016, other an 80 div. gain. What do I do?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
halmerk

Just rec'd 2 K-1 forms for my wife's deceased parent's trusts. Taxes have been filed. 1 has a short term loss for 773 for 2016, other an 80 div. gain. What do I do?

Father died in 2007, Mother initial beneficiary.  Mother died in 2015.  Both trusts went to 5 children equally and settled in 2016.  Capital gains were paid for securities sold and dividends received in 2016 in our joint return.  K-1's did not arrive until 4/7/17...our taxes were filed in mid March.  Fathers K-1 has a short term capital loss of $773.00 and tax exempt interest for $26.00.  Mother's K-1 had ordinary dividend of $80.00 and "excess deductions on termination" of $197.00.

It appears these numbers will result in an additional small refund that I really don't care about.  DO I REALLY NEED TO FILE AN AMENDMENT??????

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelL1
Level 15

Just rec'd 2 K-1 forms for my wife's deceased parent's trusts. Taxes have been filed. 1 has a short term loss for 773 for 2016, other an 80 div. gain. What do I do?

I think you have already decided.  

"It appears these numbers will result in an additional small refund that I really don't care about."

IRS will match these up to the return, and then compute the tax, which in your case appears to be $80 income and some deductions, and if nothing is missing you probably will not hear and will miss out on a small refund.

If you do decide to file an amended return here are the instructions.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelL1
Level 15

I think you have already decided.  

"It appears these numbers will result in an additional small refund that I really don't care about."

IRS will match these up to the return, and then compute the tax, which in your case appears to be $80 income and some deductions, and if nothing is missing you probably will not hear and will miss out on a small refund.

If you do decide to file an amended return here are the instructions.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings