turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rwornat

It will not let me remove the 1099-k. i have hit delete 3 times and giving error of filing asking for rental income. there is no rental income, its gas royalties

it wont let me file says i have to enter rental income and there is no rental income
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

It will not let me remove the 1099-k. i have hit delete 3 times and giving error of filing asking for rental income. there is no rental income, its gas royalties

Any royalties are reported in the same area as rental income. Please be sure the gas royalties are reported in the correct section by following these steps: 

• From the left menu, select Federal>Wages & Income
  • Scroll down to Rentals, Royalties, and Farm and Show More
  • By Rental Properties and Royalties (Sch E), select Start
  • Did you have any income from rentals or royalties? select Yes
  • For Let's see if you're a real estate professional select None of these apply and Continue
  • At What are you here to report?, select the Royalty tile and Continue
  • Follow through the rest of the prompts to Enter any other royalty income which was not reported on a 1099-MISC. 

Be sure to delete the other entry for Form 1099-K. 

By reporting the gas royalties in this section, the error will be cleared. Any ordinary and necessary related expenses will be deductible this way, too.

If you look at the history on my case you will see that several of your experts have been screen-sharing with me and have tried this only to find that Turbotax will not allow the information to be deleted with the trash can icon and when going to the tax center, etc there is no 1099K at all.  It just keeps looping back with no change.  The expert yesterday apologized profusely saying that the system was not working but found no solution.  When I said that I guess I would just have to start all over with a different tax software company even though I have used TurboTax for years she apologized again and agreed. She was very sweet and polite but not at alll helpful.  So frustrating and my confidence in TurboTax is gone.  Sad.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

It appears that while the original entry can be located, it cannot be deleted no matter what you do. We are so happy that you have relied on TurboTax for years and want you to stay. 

Due to the difficulties being experienced, use a PC with Windows 10, and a Chrome incognito browser for TurboTax Online to be sure your program is fully up to date.

• If this Form 1099-K is not in the self-employment section, and is listed in the Less Common Income section as Other Income, try entering an equal, offsetting amount in this section as a negative to zero it out.
  • If this income was entered for Schedule E, go to your search box and enter rental property or alternatively enter schedule e and click the Jump to link in the search results. 
    • The rental section, like the self-employment section, cannot take a negative income like the Less Common Income section.
    • Therefore, enter the offset as Miscellaneous Expense.

Correcting Form 1099-K will depend on where it was initially entered and why.

@lindacastello

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies