turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have been working for a company for 18 years all payment's have been in cash and my bills are paid by company checks rent, SCE , co has never given me any tax forms

The company is now closing and I have no income also my car is in the company's name and all insurance and all supplies to complete jobs are furnished by company

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have been working for a company for 18 years all payment's have been in cash and my bills are paid by company checks rent, SCE , co has never given me any tax forms

You need to see an attorney.  If what you seem to be saying is what really happened, you likely owe tens of thousands of dollars, if not hundreds of thousands, in taxes, interest and late fees.  You also have not been building up social security credits that would qualify you for disability or retirement benefits.  Your employer has some responsibility for not following the laws but so do you.

A good attorney can figure out what you owe and help negotiate a settlement with the IRS that might reduce what you owe, and also might be able to pursue the owner of the business, even if it is closed.  Don't go with the companies that advertise on radio and late night TV, find a local reputable tax attorney.

And then find a new job and start earning money and paying taxes.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Have you not filed any tax returns in those years?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

So you were an independent contractor/self employed for it?  The company didn't take any taxes out of your pay or deductions?  If you weren't an employee with deductions and didn't get a W2 they should have given you a 1099Misc if they paid you more than 600 each year.

what exactly is your question?
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Carl
Level 15

The car is not yours. It's not in your name. The car belongs to the company unless and until they report the disposition of that business asset to the IRS. At this point based on the information provided, you have no personal ownership rights or claim on the vehicle. Additionally, as far as the IRS is concerned, the company is not closed until all assets are disposed of and reported as such on the company's final tax return.

It sounds to me like you've been working under the table for all these years through some combination of cash in hand and having certain "personal" expenses being picked up by the company as part of your "income."

It certainly sounds like the company has possibly been operating in an illegal fashion and, if you haven't been preparing income tax returns, you might have been too.  

You've made a series of statements, some of which are ambiguous and difficult to follow, but you've asked no questions.  What, exactly, did you hope to achieve with this post?

You need to see an attorney.  If what you seem to be saying is what really happened, you likely owe tens of thousands of dollars, if not hundreds of thousands, in taxes, interest and late fees.  You also have not been building up social security credits that would qualify you for disability or retirement benefits.  Your employer has some responsibility for not following the laws but so do you.

A good attorney can figure out what you owe and help negotiate a settlement with the IRS that might reduce what you owe, and also might be able to pursue the owner of the business, even if it is closed.  Don't go with the companies that advertise on radio and late night TV, find a local reputable tax attorney.

And then find a new job and start earning money and paying taxes.

I agree with the recommended answer about seeking legal advice . Sounds as if everything in terms of your income was done under the table. My inexpert non-professional advice is that practically speaking, only the past seven years are likely to matter in terms of tax liability for both you and your employer, unless the state or federal government has already launched an investigation into this matter, about which neither you nor your employer would have any way of knowing. The government destroys almost all individual records after seven years, except for certain records pertaining to Social Security, Medicare and a few other things. The most unfortunate thing for you is the lack of any future Social Security benefit from the past 20 years. Also, if you don't have a work record indicating at least 40 quarters of Medicare contributions either through self employment or an employer, you will be ineligible for Medicare when you finally retire.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies