turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

garmbeall

My rental property was vacant for all of 2017. Not listed or available for rent. I repaired the home during 2017. What about my expenses? Can I carry forward to 2018?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MichaelDC

My rental property was vacant for all of 2017. Not listed or available for rent. I repaired the home during 2017. What about my expenses? Can I carry forward to 2018?

It's hard to tell what your question is without knowing more about your situation. If you have additional questions or details regarding this, please feel free to post in the comments for further clarification.

If you've purchased the property and haven't rented it yet, your pre-rental, start-up expenses will be added to the basis (original investment) and, in that manner, carried forward to 2018. No Schedule E rental reporting would be necessary this year in this case.

If you've previously rented the property and have taken a year off in the rental activity to repair and renovate with the intention of renting again, again it's probably best to capitalize those expenses and add a new "improvement" asset to the rental and depreciate it over 27.5 years. Outside of this, you'll enter zero income and expenses for the rental this year.

Here's more info that may be helpful to you:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5708330

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies