turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I file a 1099 Misc form for income rents (box1) for gas rights? Contract to rent gas rights.Any suggestions on how to handle this? thanks

Received a rental "signing bonus" for our gas rights. When I go to fill in Schedule E worksheet, it asks for expenses, etc. This was just a one time 1099 Misc. form. Not sure how to handle it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

How do I file a 1099 Misc form for income rents (box1) for gas rights? Contract to rent gas rights.Any suggestions on how to handle this? thanks

It's appropriate to add expenses if you have them. Please feel free to post any additional details or questions in the comment section. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5388422

You want to enter a 1099-MISC that was received for oil in a different place than other 1099-MISC's. Feel free to use the steps below to get to the correct area.

To Enter Your Oil & Gas Lease Income:

1. Select "Federal" at the top of the page

2. Select the "Wages & Income" sub-tab

3. Scroll down to "Rental Properties and Royalties" and select "Show More"

4. Select "Start" next to "Rental Properties and Royalties (Sch E)"

5. Answer "Yes" when you arrive to the screen asking "Did you have any rental or royalty income and expenses in 2017 for property you own?"

6. Continue answering the questions until you arrive to a screen titled "Is This a Rental Property or Royalty?". At this point select "Royalty Property or Payment" and continue through the section

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Carl
Level 15

All rental and royalty income is reported on SCH E as a part of your personal tax return.
If the income is reported in box 1 of the 1099-MISC then you have rental income.
If the income is reported in box 2, you have royalty income.
This MATTERS for correct reporting.

I did report it as box 1 rental income. Then you are  asked how many days I rented the property out, expenses, etc. I did not incur any expenses. Since this is just for gas royalties AT A FUTURE DATE, what do I do about expenses and income? thanks
Carl
Level 15

Royalty income and rental income is two completely separate things and while both are reported on SCH E, they are treated entirely different. Do you actually own the land this oil rig sits on? Or maybe you own the oil rig itself and lease it out?
MichaelDC

It's appropriate to add expenses if you have them. Please feel free to post any additional details or questions in the comment section. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5388422

You want to enter a 1099-MISC that was received for oil in a different place than other 1099-MISC's. Feel free to use the steps below to get to the correct area.

To Enter Your Oil & Gas Lease Income:

1. Select "Federal" at the top of the page

2. Select the "Wages & Income" sub-tab

3. Scroll down to "Rental Properties and Royalties" and select "Show More"

4. Select "Start" next to "Rental Properties and Royalties (Sch E)"

5. Answer "Yes" when you arrive to the screen asking "Did you have any rental or royalty income and expenses in 2017 for property you own?"

6. Continue answering the questions until you arrive to a screen titled "Is This a Rental Property or Royalty?". At this point select "Royalty Property or Payment" and continue through the section

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies