turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jyg3tax

Rental property not depreciated. bought value 355k (bought 7/1/2003, land value 100k. I checked TT scheddule E, the property didn't depreciate at all.

bought value 355k (bought 7/1/2003), land value 100k. Turn to rental property 2018. I enter purachse value 355k. The house over 15years increase about 100k, Market value 450k or plus. The land value 100k. Then I  checked TT scheddule E, it only use purachased price to do depreciation. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Rental property not depreciated. bought value 355k (bought 7/1/2003, land value 100k. I checked TT scheddule E, the property didn't depreciate at all.

It is only suppose to use the lessor of the purchase price or the fair market value when it became a rental.

Make sure that you have the property as 100% business from converted to a rental, as this might be why no deprciaiton is showing up.  So 0 days personal and all 100% business.

You only receive full year depreciation if rented on Jan 1, 2018 through Dec 31, 2018. Otherwise, it's prorated.

Agree but after it placed in service list no personal days if there are none, so if August 1st it is placed in service, then 0 personal days and it will compute depreciation for 5 months.
jyg3tax

TT use purachse price as base, not currently market value. The house increase 100k over 15 years. Can I use current market value as base?

It will use the lessor of the purchase price or FMV(when converted to a rental).  
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies