turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a rental sole proprietor LLC with expenses such as truck, phone, home office. Can I deduct this under E rather than C? If so, how - against which property?

I have done Schedule C in the past, but if I have no income on the C since it is all reported on the Schedule E, what I am writing those expenses against? Should I instead write general (ie non-individual property specific) expenses such as the truck against a specific property or divided equally under "other expenses" in each?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

I am a rental sole proprietor LLC with expenses such as truck, phone, home office. Can I deduct this under E rather than C? If so, how - against which property?

It depends - You will want to claim the truck expenses on Schedule E against each property individually based on the usage that related to each property.

As for the phone and home office, you would only be able to claim these if you used them exclusively for your rental property. You would need to determine your home office expense/business phone usage expense and allocation evenly to each property (under the miscellaneous expenses under each property).

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DS30

It depends - You will want to claim the truck expenses on Schedule E against each property individually based on the usage that related to each property.

As for the phone and home office, you would only be able to claim these if you used them exclusively for your rental property. You would need to determine your home office expense/business phone usage expense and allocation evenly to each property (under the miscellaneous expenses under each property).

thanks!  That is what seemed intuitively correct to me, but I had been doing a Schedule C.  I will discontinue that and balance those expenses as above on the Schedule E.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies