turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tylong5

Is my move work related? I moved from NV to MA in August, I started a different role in the same company and had a location update to MA remote rather than NV remote.

Unsure what to enter for the "Tell us your mileage" portion as I went full remote working in March for NV, then full remote working in MA starting end of August.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Is my move work related? I moved from NV to MA in August, I started a different role in the same company and had a location update to MA remote rather than NV remote.

The 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act changed the rules for claiming the moving expense tax deduction. For most taxpayers, moving expenses are no longer deductible, meaning you can no longer claim this deduction on your federal return. This change is set to stay in place for tax years 2018-2025.

Use the link below for additional information:

Moving Expense Deduction

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

Generally, remote employment does not involve any relocation or moving expenses. You'll need to go into more detail as to why you may believe you qualify. Do note however that if you are a W-2 employee, then any work related expenses including moving expenses are no longer deductible.

Moving expenses are not deductible on a federal tax return except for certain active duty members of the military.  Some state laws might be different, but NV has no state income tax.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482873-which-federal-tax-deductions-have-been-suspended-by-tax-re...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
TomD8
Level 15

Massachusetts is one of a small number of states that still allows a deduction for moving expenses.  You can read its rules here:

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/moving-expense-deduction

You'll note that the rules don't specifically address those workers whose work is 100% remote and who can work from anywhere.  If you claim the deduction on your MA return, it may strengthen your case if you can show that your move was required by your employer (just my opinion). 

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies