turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is it possible to calculate previous years depreciation on a rental house if I have neglected to list it as an asset on Turbo Tax in previous years?

prior to this year, I never listed the rental house itself as an asset on Turbo Tax so depreciation was never calculated. Now I have sold the property and I don't know how to proceed.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Is it possible to calculate previous years depreciation on a rental house if I have neglected to list it as an asset on Turbo Tax in previous years?

Depreciation is required, so you missed out on previous deductions.

Go to a tax professional to fix this.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You can enter the asset in TurboTax and the program will calculate the prior and current year depreciation and list them on the entry screens. You can note the amount and then delete the asset entry if you don't need it in the current year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

You can also Amend your tax returns going back three years and get credit for the previous depreciation.  You must complete Tax Year 2017 by April 15th of this year.

Be sure that dates and amounts match with what you posted to 2020.

@gwoolery12

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you have not taken any depreciation  at all then you should not amend anything ... instead you file a form 3115 with the 2020 return to fix this error.   The form 3115 is not a DIY project and the program will not do it for you so PLEASE seek a local tax professional for the 2020 return and get this fixed correctly.  

@JohnB5677 wrote:

You can also Amend your tax returns going back three years and get credit for the previous depreciation. 

@gwoolery12

No you can't amend (assuming you incorrectly did not take depreciation for 2 or more consecutive years.

As Critter pointed out, you need to file Form 3115, which is why I said to go to a tax professional to fix things.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies