Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

heloguy18

Is a rental property considered my business

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Renting a residential property is considered "passive activity", which means it is a side-business that doesn't require paying self-employment taxes. However, many people generate a full-time income from their rental "business."

Rental activity is reported on Schedule E, while a self-employed business is reported on Schedule C.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Renting a residential property is considered "passive activity", which means it is a side-business that doesn't require paying self-employment taxes. However, many people generate a full-time income from their rental "business."

Rental activity is reported on Schedule E, while a self-employed business is reported on Schedule C.

Does owning rental property mean I have to send 1099 forms to contractors who do repairs on the properties?

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

Possibly. It largely depends on the payee and the amount paid. If the contractor(s) you used were not corporations (S-corporations or C-corporations), it is recommended that you report the payment on a 1099-MISC. Generally, payments to a corporation (including a limited liability company [LLC] that is treated as a C or S corporation) do not need to be reported on a 1099-MISC.

However, according to the IRS’s guidance here, if you made the following type of payment, it is recommended that you report it on a 1099-MISC:

• Services performed by independent contractors or others (not employees of your business) of at least $600

However, even though you are acting as a landlord, it is important to file a 1099-MISC if you are looking to take the (up to) 20% Qualified Business Income (QBI) deduction. This deduction is available to individuals and owners who seek to claim the deduction with respect to a rental real estate enterprise. A rental real estate enterprise will be treated as a trade or business for purposes of the QBI deduction if certain criteria are met. Here is some more information from the IRS on the QBI deduction.

@Karen Ambler

Carl
Level 15

If you paid "AN INDIVIDUAL" more than $600 during the tax year, you would need to send them a 1099-MISC. If you paid "AN INCORPORATED BUSINESS" more than $600, then no 1099-MISC is required.

For the most part, a rental property owner is not required to issue a 1099-MISC since it's passive activity. But there are exceptions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies