chsriman

International travel expenses as deduction against rent from international property

I report income from my Indian rental properties in my US tax return. Last year, I traveled to India to take care of work related to those rental properties apart from other things. Can I deduct my travel expenses or part of them in my 2017 return?

PatriciaV

Yes, you may be able to deduct travel expenses related to the management of your rental property. However, be sure to allocate your expenses if any portion of the trip was for personal reasons (visiting family, vacation, etc.). And keep good records. The IRS expects to see extensive record-keeping for rental expenses, and especially travel relating to rental properties.

PatriciaV