turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

onioner2

I made a 1031 exchange of a rental house. In TurboTax, how can I indicate I stop renting/owning the old property? Should the depreciation of the old one be prorated 2017?

For the 1031 exchange of the rental house, when I was working on the rental income section in Turbo tax, there are a few questions confuse me:

1. For the delinquent property (A): 

In the property profile section, there is a page asking whether the house was new, sold, rented partially, or converted. 

The hyperlink next to "sold" option has a few notes, one of them is " do not check the box if the property was part of a "like-kind exchange". 

So I should not check this box, right?

Then, where should I indicate I stop using/owning this property A as a rental property?

2. After updating the property profile for A, the depreciation amount is still the full year amount. Should the depreciation be prorated for the period I owned and used it for rental purpose? 

3. For the newly acquired property (B): I added a new rental property, when Turbo Tax asks "was this property rented for all of 2017. There is also a note:"if you only owned the property part of the year, then let us know if it was rented the entire time you owned it". 

I am confused whether I should choose Yes, this property was rented all year or No?

How can I let TurboTax know I rented out the house the entire time I owned it? These is no proper option in this question I can choose from.

If I choose yes, it is not true. 

If I choose No. The additional questions come out: "during the period in 2017, this property was a rental, tell us how many days the property was rented at a fair rental price and used for personal reasons. Do not include days when the property was vacant. 

The purchase of the B house closed in late November. The purpose of this property is rental, but we did not find a tenant until beginning of 2018. Should I put 0 days rented as a fair rental price and 0 days for personal use?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

I made a 1031 exchange of a rental house. In TurboTax, how can I indicate I stop renting/owning the old property? Should the depreciation of the old one be prorated 2017?

In the Rental section, under 'Sale of Property/Depreciation' you will indicate you stopped renting the old property, and the date (screenshot).  

Say YES to 'Special Handling Required?' (screenshot). The next screen will show your depreciation for 2017.

For the new property, you can say YES to 'was the property rented for all of 2017'.  Though it is confusing, it means that from the date you stated it was a rental in the Property Profile, it was rented (or available for rent), and you rented it at a fair price (even if it was not actually rented).

To report the like-kind exchange, type 'like kind' in the search window, and 'Jump to like kind' for the entry area.

Here's more info:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301982

Edited 3/30/18 10:48 am

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
onioner2

Hi, Thank you for the detailed answers! The help a lot!
 I still have a hard time finding the page you showed on the first screenshot. Could you please describe how you get here step by step from the Rental section?
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Added screenshot of Rental Topics.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies