turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

warreng66

In Ameritrade account for 2020 I made deposits of 61905. As of today the bal and stocks are worth 28256. Can I claim the 43k loss on my taxes and where do I show that?

Thank you for any help
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DJS
Alumni
Alumni

In Ameritrade account for 2020 I made deposits of 61905. As of today the bal and stocks are worth 28256. Can I claim the 43k loss on my taxes and where do I show that?

A loss is only realized when securities are sold, not simply when their value in your portfolio declines. If you sell a stock that you purchased at a loss you can write the loss off against gains that you also have, or you can deduct up to $3000 of excess losses from other ordinary income. 

Any loss can be netted against any capital gain realized in the same tax year, but only $3,000 of capital loss can be deducted against earned or other types of income in the year. Remaining capital losses can then be deducted in future years up to $3,000 a year, or a capital gain can be used to offset the remaining carry-forward amount.

Capital gains and deductible capital losses are reported on Form 1040, Schedule D PDF, Capital Gains and Losses, and then transferred to line 13 of Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. Capital gains and losses are classified as long-term or short term. If you hold the asset for more than one year, your capital gain or loss is long-term. If you hold the asset one year or less, your capital gain or loss is short-term. To figure the holding period, begin counting on the day after you received the property and include the day you disposed of the property.

TDAmeritrade will report all the necessary information to you on a consolidated form

1099 which includes interest (1099-int), dividends (1099-div) and capital gains and losses (1099-b). Also included is the 1099-misc (Royalties, Other income, Federal income tax withheld, Substitute payments in lieu of dividends or interest). These data can be directly uploaded into TurboTax once you have your 1099 from TDAmeritrade. 

Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.
**If this post is helpful please click on "thumbs up"**
mpete28
Returning Member

where do I find the schedule D capital gains and losses in turbo tax premium ?

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

It should be under income and expenses and in a category that would be reporting 1099-Bs and capital gains.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies