Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

egoac99

In 2016 I refinanced my original mortgage and took an addiitonal $50,000 cash out for general purposes. Is the entire interest non-deductible or only the $50,000?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

In 2016 I refinanced my original mortgage and took an addiitonal $50,000 cash out for general purposes. Is the entire interest non-deductible or only the $50,000?

Since your mortgage was acquired in 2016, your principal loan is grandfathered in and the interest is deductible for up to $1M in debt.  For loans originating after Dec. 14, 2017, the interest is still deductible but limited to the interest on $750K of debt.  

Beginning in 2018, the interest on the 'general purpose' debt is no longer deductible as it was in the past.  Beginning in 2018, the interest on home equity debt is no longer deductible unless it was used to buy, build, or substantially improve your home.  See this article for more details on the mortgage interest deduction and how it has changed.   Deducting Mortgage Interest

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Since your mortgage was acquired in 2016, your principal loan is grandfathered in and the interest is deductible for up to $1M in debt.  For loans originating after Dec. 14, 2017, the interest is still deductible but limited to the interest on $750K of debt.  

Beginning in 2018, the interest on the 'general purpose' debt is no longer deductible as it was in the past.  Beginning in 2018, the interest on home equity debt is no longer deductible unless it was used to buy, build, or substantially improve your home.  See this article for more details on the mortgage interest deduction and how it has changed.   Deducting Mortgage Interest

egoac99

So, the portion of the mortgage that was Original debt is deductible but the $50,000 cash out portion would not be?
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Yes!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies