Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mjdolan3

Do I bundle and depreciate the improvements made as a whole in a rental renovation or item by item?

The rental home is fully depreciated. Since it is a large renovation, I understand the IRS expects me to bundle all improvements to depreciate them...correct? If bundled, do I do one line that says renovation or do I break out each line item and depreciate them, eg. new interior doors, interior paint throughout, new window, new blinds, new closet rods, new roof, new kitchen cabinets, etc.

Thanks in advance.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
view2

Do I bundle and depreciate the improvements made as a whole in a rental renovation or item by item?

Improvements to the property because they are for betterments and/or restorations to the property.    Are in the same class of property as the residential rental property to which they are attached.and depreciated over a recovery period of 27.5 years.

All expenses  are entered as one asset cost and entered as of the date placed in service.[ready to rent]

Appliances are are a 5 year property.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
view2

Improvements to the property because they are for betterments and/or restorations to the property.    Are in the same class of property as the residential rental property to which they are attached.and depreciated over a recovery period of 27.5 years.

All expenses  are entered as one asset cost and entered as of the date placed in service.[ready to rent]

Appliances are are a 5 year property.

summie707

Pigging back of above example...what if the renovation started late 2018 and into early 2019, do I depreciated what paid in 2018?  Or wait until the renovation is done in 2019 and enter as one asset cost and start depreciation in 2019?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies