turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

riccan12

Can I deduct mortgage interest, insurance, property taxes and utilities paid if my rental was vacant 7 of 12 months for repairs/improvements for sale of home?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Can I deduct mortgage interest, insurance, property taxes and utilities paid if my rental was vacant 7 of 12 months for repairs/improvements for sale of home?

Unfortunately, no. It must have been available to rent.

Vacant rental property. If you hold property for rental purposes, you may be able to deduct your ordinary and necessary expenses (including depreciation) for managing, conserving, or maintaining the property while the property is vacant. However, you cannot deduct any loss of rental income for the period the property is vacant.

Vacant while listed for sale. If you sell property you held for rental purposes, you can deduct the ordinary and necessary expenses for managing, conserving, or maintaining the property until it is sold. If the property is not held out and available for rent while listed for sale, the expenses are not deductible rental expenses.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Unfortunately, no. It must have been available to rent.

Vacant rental property. If you hold property for rental purposes, you may be able to deduct your ordinary and necessary expenses (including depreciation) for managing, conserving, or maintaining the property while the property is vacant. However, you cannot deduct any loss of rental income for the period the property is vacant.

Vacant while listed for sale. If you sell property you held for rental purposes, you can deduct the ordinary and necessary expenses for managing, conserving, or maintaining the property until it is sold. If the property is not held out and available for rent while listed for sale, the expenses are not deductible rental expenses.

er1353

So how would one deduct ordinary and necessary expenses for managing/conserving/maintaining the property while the property is vacant? What form does one put this on? I imagine this would be things like general maintenance and repairs, cost of keeping utilities on etc?
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

If your property was not held for rental purposes and available for rent, you can't deduct any expenses.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies