turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cbertz

Officers of my company are granted the option to receive a monthly stipend for the purchase of company stock, should the sale of this stock be handled as an ESPP?

Officers of my company are granted the option to receive a monthly stipend for the purchase of company stock with no brokerage fee. The stipend can only be used to purchase stock and must be entirely committed to stock purchase. The stipend is taxable income. Should the sale of stock shares acquired in this manner be considered an ESPP?"

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Officers of my company are granted the option to receive a monthly stipend for the purchase of company stock, should the sale of this stock be handled as an ESPP?

If you're simply buying stock at no discount to the stock's FMV then simply treat the stock as plain-vanilla stock, no different than stock you'd buy through your broker. 

A proper "Qualifying" ESPP has to hew to the strict requirements of Section 423 and what you've described here sounds a lot more informal. 

Tom Young

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you're simply buying stock at no discount to the stock's FMV then simply treat the stock as plain-vanilla stock, no different than stock you'd buy through your broker. 

A proper "Qualifying" ESPP has to hew to the strict requirements of Section 423 and what you've described here sounds a lot more informal. 

Tom Young

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies