Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to file state tax return in Tennessee? I have been a resident all of 2014 w/o interests from bonds, notes, or dividends from stock exceeding $1,250.

I am a resident in TN.  All income in 2014 came from TN.  Do I need to file a 2014 state tax return?  I see in a Turbo Tax forum that TN only collects tax on interest income from bonds, notes, and dividends from stock exceeding $1,250.  I do not meet any of these requirements.  I do not want to pay $19.99 to e-file state taxes if I do not need too.  I have already filed my federal refund.  Please help me determine if I need to file a state tax return or simply file my federal tax (which I did) then I am done with all of my 2014 taxes.  Thank you in advance for your help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
EvieT

Do I need to file state tax return in Tennessee? I have been a resident all of 2014 w/o interests from bonds, notes, or dividends from stock exceeding $1,250.

You are correct, Tennessee, taxes only dividend and interest income. If you do not have this type of income you are not required to file a state return.

I need to know how to continue with my federal return and e file
Deshia

If you have reported and unreported income that exceeds the IRS filing threshold in the table under Federal Filing Requirements below, you will need to file a tax return with the IRS. Determine if you need to file by adding up all income you receive from all sources, such as income on a W-2 or Form 1099s and from side jobs or freelancing.

If your income falls below the IRS filing threshold for your age and filing status, you don't need to file a 2014 federal tax return.

But even if you're not required to file, here are 3 good reasons why you may want to file anyway:

1. To get a refund for any taxes withheld from your 2014 wages.
  2. To take advantage of the
  1. Earned Income Credit (EIC).

2. To take advantage of any other refundable credits like the Additional Child Tax Credit or the American Opportunity college credit.

What if you don't need to file, you had no withholdings, and you don't qualify for any credits – should you file a return anyway to "prove" to the IRS that you had no taxable income?

We recommend that you don't. For starters, you'll get reject errors if you try to e-file a return that has zero income. And second, because the IRS already knows you either have no income or that your income was below the tax filing requirements. All you're doing is wasting paper and creating extra work for both of you.

For starters, you'll get reject errors if you try to e-file a return that has zero income. And second, because the IRS already knows you either have no income or that your income was below the tax filing requirements. All you're doing is wasting paper and creating extra work for both of you.

Many states require that you file a state tax return if you filed a federal return, whereas others require filing only if your income exceeds a certain level.

Please check out the link:

http://www.tn.gov/revenue/tntaxes/indinc.shtml

Any further questions, please contact us again. Thanks for using Turbotax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies