Edmund

If you have not sold any stock, but you are down over $3000 in unrealized loss is it still a loss or do I have to sell it first

tagteam

You have to sell it first in order for the loss (or gain) to be recognized and, as such, a taxable event.

ratings image
TomD8

You have to sell it first.  You don't have a "realized" gain or loss on a stock until you sell it.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Anonymous
Not applicable

and if you sell at a loss and repurchase like kind stock 30 days before or after the sale the wash sale rules come into play disallowing some or all of the loss.   generally the brokers will do this automatically.