cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

Are capital gains on 1099-DIV from U.S. obligations subject to Maryland income tax?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 8

Are capital gains on 1099-DIV from U.S. obligations subject to Maryland income tax?

No, they are not.

This, from the MD 2017 State & Local Tax Forms & Instructions, Subtractions: 

ab. Income from U.S. Government obligations. Enter interest on U.S. Savings Bonds and other U.S. obligations. Capital gains from the sale or exchange of U.S. obligations should be included on this line. Dividends from mutual funds that invest in U.S. Government obligations also are exempt from state taxation. However, only that portion of the dividends attributable to interest or capital gain from U.S. Government obligations can be subtracted.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Level 8

No, they are not.

This, from the MD 2017 State & Local Tax Forms & Instructions, Subtractions: 

ab. Income from U.S. Government obligations. Enter interest on U.S. Savings Bonds and other U.S. obligations. Capital gains from the sale or exchange of U.S. obligations should be included on this line. Dividends from mutual funds that invest in U.S. Government obligations also are exempt from state taxation. However, only that portion of the dividends attributable to interest or capital gain from U.S. Government obligations can be subtracted.

View solution in original post

Level 2

I understand this but Turbo Tax only asks if any capital gains are from US obligations, not dividends.  This appears to be a mistake.  Please help me understand!
Level 2

I understand this but Turbo Tax only asks if any capital gains are from US obligations, not dividends.  This appears to be a mistake.  Please help me understand!
Level 1

does anyone know this answer to the comment above?  I would like to know/confirm this as well.
Level 8

see below for how to input those dividends.
Level 1

thank you but my question is the same a krelged above.  Turbo Tax (in the MD state portion) is asking me if any capital gains from US obligations they are tax free and to enter an amount that should be tax free.  Is this capital gains only, ordinary dividends, or both?  I found a form on American Funds site that helps you calculate this (for their mutual funds) but it only talks about dividends (not capital gains) from US obligations are tax free ... which just confuses the issue for me even more.  Here is the worksheet calculator from American Funds: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.americanfunds.com/individual/service-and-support/tax-center/interactive-worksheets/ustre...> Any help is appreciated..  I waiting on a call back from MD tax office as well.  Thanks!!
Level 8

When you're in the Dividend section, after you enter them, you see the screen below.  On the next screen, you can enter the portion that's US Government obligations.

The next screen asks you the state that it's from.

Highlighted
Level 8

If you have MD capital gains that are tax free, enter them on this screen (see below):