turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jmrsweep

I rent a room of my house. I checked the box under Property Profile for "I rent out part" of my home also "2016 was 1st year". Where does it ask for rental use percent?

The forums indicate it will ask for the percentage after you check the box “I rent out part of my home” on the page asking “Do Any of these Situations Apply to this Rental Property?  I do not get a screen that says “Let Us Calculate Your Expense Deductions For You” and the box will open to allow you to enter the rental use percentage some forum answers indicate.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

I rent a room of my house. I checked the box under Property Profile for "I rent out part" of my home also "2016 was 1st year". Where does it ask for rental use percent?

If you didn't rent the property all year, then the days of rental use versus the total days of ownership in the year will give you the correct percentage to use (as opposed to square feet).  Try using the steps below, under the Property Profile, to apply the percentage you are looking for so that TurboTax will do the calculations for you.

1. On the "Do any of these situations apply to this property" select only "I rent out part of my home".
  2. On the next pages say "yes" it was rented all year and "yes" it was rented at fair rental value.
  3. Continue through the next few pages to get the option for TurboTax to do the math and ask for a percentage (suggestion above).

These steps should produce the results you are looking for.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
jgollub

What if I rent out a room in my house, but only for part of the year. It seems if you check the box for partial year rental + room in my house, it still assumes I'm renting out the full house for part of the yea (and does not prorate expenses as if I also live there)
DianeW
Expert Alumni

If you didn't rent the property all year, then the days of rental use versus the total days of ownership in the year will give you the correct percentage to use (as opposed to square feet).  Try using the steps below, under the Property Profile, to apply the percentage you are looking for so that TurboTax will do the calculations for you.

1. On the "Do any of these situations apply to this property" select only "I rent out part of my home".
  2. On the next pages say "yes" it was rented all year and "yes" it was rented at fair rental value.
  3. Continue through the next few pages to get the option for TurboTax to do the math and ask for a percentage (suggestion above).

These steps should produce the results you are looking for.

towsurfer

How do I get back to the screen asking to "let us calculate the deductions for you"??  I need to go back and change the option but it is no longer available.  How can I get to this page again?

Regarding "If you didn't rent the property all year, then the days of rental use versus the total days of ownership in the year will give you the correct percentage to use (as opposed to square feet)." I do not think this is correct based on the information TTAX provides under the "learn more" link for the selection "I rented out part of my home" This says "you can use any reasonable method for dividing the expense. The most common methods ... are based on the number of rooms in your home or based on the square footage"  The On Demand Tax Guidance from TTAX for "What is my rental percentage" only consider the actual properties of the physical space and does not consider the number of days during the year the property was rented (though this information is used elsewhere and for other tax considerations).
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies