turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I work for the military overseas and my home of record is Virginia. I have not lived in VA all year but own a rental property there. Am I considered a full or part year r

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

I work for the military overseas and my home of record is Virginia. I have not lived in VA all year but own a rental property there. Am I considered a full or part year r

If you are military, you are VA resident. Your SLR (home of record) state is considered your resident state as long as you are on active duty. Even if you are stationed in another state, you’re still considered a resident of your SLR state.  In TurboTax, when going through Personal Info section, be sure to select that you a member of U.S. Armed Forces and select VA in the Tell us the state(s) you live in section.  

If you are a civilian working for the military, your residency depends on other factors. You are a resident if your permanent home is in VA.  The permanent home is where, whenever absent, the taxpayer intends to return. If that is your case, you are a full year resident of VA.

IF that is not your case and you moved out of VA during any time in 2016, you are a part-year resident. You are a nonresident if you haven't lived in VA all year and did not have a  permanent home there and are not intending to return. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

If you are military, you are VA resident. Your SLR (home of record) state is considered your resident state as long as you are on active duty. Even if you are stationed in another state, you’re still considered a resident of your SLR state.  In TurboTax, when going through Personal Info section, be sure to select that you a member of U.S. Armed Forces and select VA in the Tell us the state(s) you live in section.  

If you are a civilian working for the military, your residency depends on other factors. You are a resident if your permanent home is in VA.  The permanent home is where, whenever absent, the taxpayer intends to return. If that is your case, you are a full year resident of VA.

IF that is not your case and you moved out of VA during any time in 2016, you are a part-year resident. You are a nonresident if you haven't lived in VA all year and did not have a  permanent home there and are not intending to return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies