sws-ctn

If my only taxable income is short-term gains with stocks, how much of a $26,000 loss in 2016 (no taxable income) can be carried over to offset $35,000 in gains in 2017?

I have had no taxable income since 2010. During that time, my total short-term stock losses amount to $90,000 - never a gain in any year. Can losses in years prior to 2016 also be carried over when I file in 2018 (if I prove to be a smarter trader this year than in years past!)?

RichardK

You are allowed to carry forward unused capital losses from one year to the next, the capital losses are offset against capital gain, then you use $3,000 of the capital loss to offset ordinary income, any unused capital loss is carried to the next year, click here for more information.

RichardK