Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

If I pay for my moms rent can I claim her on my taxes?

I pay my mothers rent and I also pay for dental and medical procedures that aren't covered by her medical.

1 Reply
Level 7

If I pay for my moms rent can I claim her on my taxes?

You may be able to claim your mom as a Qualifying Relative dependent if:

·       You provided more than half of her support in 2017

·       She earned less than $4,050 in gross taxable income in 2017. (Social Security income generally doesn’t count here.)

·       She isn’t a dependent on someone else’s tax return.

·       She isn’t filing a tax return with a spouse (married filing jointly).

·       She is a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident

You can’t claim a dependent if you are a dependent on someone else’s taxes

See Rules For Claiming Dependents

If you claim your mom as your dependent, you can deduct her medical expenses.

[]Edited 01/26/2018, 10:15 EST]

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings