• Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

If i made rental income from a property in another state, do i declare income in the other state?

Ex: live in Hawaii, rental property in NJ.  do I file income tax in Hawaii or NJ??
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

If i made rental income from a property in another state, do i declare income in the other state?

It depends.  If you made rental income (and not a loss) in New Jersey, you are required to file a New Jersey nonresident return on the rental income that came from New Jersey.  You also must include this income as part of your Hawaii resident return (your resident state taxes all of your income, whether it's earned in that state or not).  However, you will prepare the New Jersey return first because Hawaii will give you a credit for the tax you must pay, and TurboTax will help calculate the credit.  Here is an FAQ that explains more on how to do this:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302052

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  If you made rental income (and not a loss) in New Jersey, you are required to file a New Jersey nonresident return on the rental income that came from New Jersey.  You also must include this income as part of your Hawaii resident return (your resident state taxes all of your income, whether it's earned in that state or not).  However, you will prepare the New Jersey return first because Hawaii will give you a credit for the tax you must pay, and TurboTax will help calculate the credit.  Here is an FAQ that explains more on how to do this:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302052

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v