turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I live and work in WA (no income tax) and bought a property in NC and rent it out, do I pay tax to NC on the income I made in WA.

If I live and work in WA, would I just need to pay the tax to NC on the part of rental income I make in NC, not on anything else?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

If I live and work in WA (no income tax) and bought a property in NC and rent it out, do I pay tax to NC on the income I made in WA.

You pay NC on the money you made in NC.  You do not pay NC for the income you made in Washington state.

Even if the NC return is a loss you NEED to file the return to preserve the loss.  

Thanks

Thanks. Yes I should file return with NC. But just try to make sure my income from WA will not be taxed in NC if I have an investment property there.

When you file a NON resident NC return ONLY the NC income is taxed on the NC return ... however rentals usually run at a loss due to the depreciation you MUST take it is not an option or a suggestion.  

Thank you. But if no other income in NC and I file a tax return with loss, what does it mean? I basically do not need to pay the NC state and they do not need to pay me either, right?

RIGHT ...  but you need to file to preserve the loss for the time you sell the property.   If you will not do some investigating yourself may I suggest you sit down with a local tax pro and ask these tax planning questions so get educated on what, how and why.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies